Special thanks to:
Lectionary notes for Lent 2019
First Sunday of Lent, March 10th, 2019 (Lectionary #24)
- Deuteronomy 26:4-10 – Moses tells his people, “My father was a wandering Aramean, who went down to Egypt with a small household and lived there as an alien.” The Egyptians mistreated his family, but they grew into a great nation with the help of God. How do we welcome the stranger? Do we see Jesus in the face of someone very different from us?
- Philippians 3:17-4:1 – St. Paul says, “Join with others in being imitators of me, brothers and sisters, and observe those who thus conduct themselves according to the model you have in us.” Do we strive to imitate Christ? Who is a model of Christ-like behavior in your life?
- Luke 13:1-9 – Jesus tells the parable of the barren fig tree. The gardener said of it, “I shall cultivate the ground around it and fertilize it; it may bear fruit in the future. If not, you can cut it down." Do we take time to cultivate relationships so that they may bear fruit in the future? What are the ways we can “fertilize” our community so that it is more loving? Is it ever necessary to prune away something that is harmful to the growth of love and justice?
- Luke 15:1-3, 11-32 – The Pharisees complained about Jesus, saying, “This man welcomes sinners and eats with them.” So, Jesus tells them the parable of the prodigal son. Do we welcome the least among us into the best parts of our lives? Is our parish a place where all feel welcome? Do we forgive others even when they make poor choices?
- John 8:1-11 – The scribes and Pharisees bring the woman caught in adultery to Jesus and say that the law of Moses requires that she be stoned. Jesus replies, “Let the one among you who is without sin be the first to throw a stone at her.” Are we too quick to judge others, spread gossip, or put others down? Do we practice humility? Do we regularly make use of the sacrament of Reconciliation?
Lenten Resources and Activities for Adults and Family
40 Days Lent Program Resources (Pre K - 8th Grade)
Art and Faith: Lent
Catholic Relief Services, Lent 2019 Rice Bowl Educator’s Guide
CRS Rice Bowl (Get free materials)
Holy Week Resources for Families
How to Practice Lent: CRS
Ignatian Workout for Lent: An Online Retreat with Audio reflections, prayer, and action steps:
Lenten Meatless Recipes
Living for Others During Lent
Living the Liturgical Year at Home: Lent
Loyola Press Lenten Activities for Children
Making a personal Lenten plan
Nouwen Society: Lenten online book discussion for Walk with Jesus